11.8.15

Conversation between a boy and a rabbit shaped cloud

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Do I fascinate you? You've been staring at me for hours.

BOY: Yes. Right now you are the canvas for my thoughts.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Well, I'm glad I can be of assistance. I often look down and do the same thing.

BOY: Really?

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Well, there's not a lot else for me to do up here...

BOY: What goes through your mind?

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Oh, many things I guess. Wanting to be down there amongst you all is one of them. I often fantasize about what it would be like. To go about the daily business of a human. To build a kingdom.

BOY: Yes?

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Yes! Often! I really think I could make a go of things. I would be focused and not succumb to distractions like everyone else.

BOY: You think we are distracted? Life on the ground is not so easy. Those things are easy to say being a cloud. You are so removed. You possess such carefree perspective.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: It looks pretty simple from up here.

BOY: You are mistaken cloud! It is complicated down here! It might seem that there is a clear objective in life but there is not! Many people spend their whole lives just trying to find that objective, many people's objectives contradict and are in competition, and some people are constantly modifying their objectives, never satisfied.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Hmmmmm, that sounds complicated. I always thought you were striving for happiness.

BOY: Yes we are. But it's not that simple. Happiness tends to change. We can't be happy all the time otherwise we grow weary of it. We seem to need a certain level of misery, boredom and pain thrown in the mix, then we can appreciate happiness again. But all our cycles seem to be out of whack because, often, different things make us happy and sad. And then amongst all that we have to work. And we work too much! We have little time outside of work to strive for happiness.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: I'm not completely sure if I understand. It sounds like a mess down there.

BOY: It can be.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: So that is why I often see you guys staring up at the sky? Your relative insignificance in the context of the universe puts your minor, trivial problems in perspective.

BOY: Yes, I guess so.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Ah, I see. I had wondered about that, but wasn't sure. Do you sometimes wish you were like me, a cloud?

BOY: I often wish I was as free as a cloud.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Yes, it is pretty awesome up here. We are free but at the same time we have limited control of our trajectories. We form and then we break apart. Nothing lasts. It's only during storms when we gather for any meaningful interaction. It's like a family reunion or jamboree. Heavy rains, blocking out the sun, pounding the earth. It's what we live for. I love a good rain! Storms are like a cloud orgy.

BOY: You take pride in making storms?

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Yes, but they don't happen often enough. Often we are so sparse and far apart, it is like wandering in the desert. There is no one to talk to and it can be like that for months. It's only thinking of the next party that gets us through. But sometimes we have no idea when that will be. Sometimes there is no wind and we are stuck, like a sailboat in the ocean. Tell me boy, do I make an interesting shape from down there?

BOY: Yes! You are a rabbit, but you are starting to break apart.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Ha! I thought so! It's what it felt like when the other clouds joined my form. A rabbit in full flight, no? Front and hind legs extended?

BOY: Yes! Precisely.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Good. I'm glad you noticed. I think I made a good dragon yesterday. You would not have noticed though. I was a few hundred kilometres down the coast.

BOY: I would have liked to have seen that.

RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: It was glorious. I caught my reflection in the ocean.

BOY: But you're starting to break up now. You're losing your pointy ears and your legs.

DISSOLVING RABBIT SHAPED CLOUD: Yes. I can feel it. The parts that joined me are starting to drift. It's a shame. We were starting to get to know each other, to have a connection, no?

BOY: Yes. I wish we started this dialogue sooner.

CLOUD: Yes... But... Oooooh, hang on! What's this? Yes! Yes it is! I smell some high pressure to the north!

BOY: Huh?

CLOUD: I'm outa here boy! There's rain coming! The other cloud particles that joined me sensed it earlier. That's where they are going. There's a storm forming! A hot, sticky, moist, wet jam with other clouds! Yahoooooo, Party time! I'll leave you mulling over existential thought. Later!

BOY: -




No comments:

Post a Comment