17.4.11

Joy Theory




JOY THEORY
WHAT IF JOY was to be both the inspiration and objective of every decision we made? Would we make different decisions? Would we change where we worked? Would we change our friends? Would we change how we spent our time?


Ask yourself. Why are we alive? What is life all about? What do we desire? Is it not joy? Is that not why we are here?


It's something I've been thinking about over the past several months. Why do we often not consider joy in every decision we make? And if joy is not the object of every decision we make, why do wonder why we end up unhappy, bitter, or depressed?

In light of these musings I have recently been testing a theory: The Joy Theory.

The Joy Theory
We were created out of love and were intended to experience and share unending joy. Nothing has changed. Life is meant to be joyful. Our spirits are meant to rejoice and seek good things. When we are pondering doing something, we should ask ourselves if joy is involved. If it isn't, we should ask ourselves why we intend to do it. Choose the things that lead to joy and really seek them out.

So this is what I have been doing. I have been trying to reconcile my plans and actions to joy. If I can see no joy coming about as a result of an action, I don't do it. If something will bring joy, I do it. 


I apply the theory to all aspects of daily life (when I remember); getting out of bed, what to have for breakfast, who to hang out with, whether to help someone in need or not, to sit and watch television or not, to go out for lunch or not, if I should go for a run. 
It sounds stupid, like all of those decisions are not very important ones, but I've found that they actually make a big difference at the end of the day. It also scares me to think about all of the things that I do without knowing why, things I don't really want to do.


It makes a big difference when you help someone out of a joyful heart or help someone out of joyless obligation.
As does going for a run.
Or having a cup of coffee in a cafe.


The above things do not really seem to be a problem if done joylessly, but what if our lives are a culmination of moments and decisions like these? If we choose badly, we deprive ourselves of joy. We forget why we are living. We forget why we were made. We lose perspective.


This is bad.


In my experimentation I have found that the Joy Theory is not just an applied rule but it is also an outlook. In seeking joy we are not just seeking momentary pleasures but long lasting pleasures. Joy comes from things that are immediate and things that are to come. Good and bad things have a habit of self perpetuating. We are the sum of our decisions. We choose the path in which we walk. We make the bed in which we lie. Where do we end up if our decisions are devoid of joy?


(Note that pleasure is not necessarily the same as joy).


Consider going to the pub when you are in a bad mood compared to going to the pub when you are in a good mood.
Consider buying a sweater when you have had a bad week compared to buying one when you have had an amazingly good one.


Chances are, going to the pub in a bad mood isn't going to end joyously. Chances are, in a few weeks, or months, whenever you look at the sweater you bought you will be reminded of the mood you were in when you bought it. Will you be reminded of that terrible week or that amazingly good one?


How about relationships?


Does application of the Joy Theory change the company you keep? The girl you pursue?


How about your job?


Or when considering consumption of that extra row of chocolate?


The Joy Theory. It's an interesting experiment. Why not test it and see where it takes you. 
I've been testing it and I'm a believer.


This blog is dedicated to my very good friend and fellow peregrino Matt Chernishov, who has made some very good decisions in the name of joy.


joy
–noun
1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused bysomething exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation: She felt the joy of seeing her son's success.
2. a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated: Her prose style is a pure joy.
3. the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
4. a state of happiness or felicity.

–verb
5. to feel joy; be glad; rejoice.





You will show me the path of life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore. 
Psalm 16: 11



4 comments:

  1. I agree. Joy is the key in all decisions we make. I'm gonna test it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mission in "being-me" for the past 8 months has been to nurture, explore, grow with, delight in, tickle, integrate,pray+live JOY... its a gift that can transform ordinary to surreal, grey into a kaleidescope and best of all -BRING LIGHT into darkness-... thank you for adding defining words to my "being-me" 8months and inspiring others to explore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow dude, I'm honoured! Thank you :o] And I'm going to remind myself again of this more and more.

    ReplyDelete