9.1.11

Regarding Statements of Intent & Disclaimers

It's the New Year, again. Out with the pen and all the resolutions. We will better ourselves this year: shed pounds, get smarter, be braver, become more financially viable, learn Salsa, speak Japanese, experiment with fruit and cheese combinations. My resolve has been half-assed in previous years. I've made statements of intent, nodded, and soon ignored them. Self betterment has always been eclipsed by more meaningful tasks: vacant stares, television, pondering life on other planets, scrutinizing existence of parallel universes, living vicariously through facebook, not getting out of bed... the list goes on. The truth is, I must hate myself. I mean I must really hate myself. I could be so much more in so many different ways but I am not. I stop myself from doing so. My intentions are the antithesis of my being. I am wasted time, wasted space, when I could be brilliant. Or could I?

Lately I've been thinking what everyone else has thought at some stage in their life. What if everyone pursued their dreams?

There are doctors that want to be writers, writers that want to be comedians, comedians that want to be golfers, golfers that want to be farmers, farmers that want to be dancers, dancers that want to be famous, famous people that want to live in outer space in communion with Xenu.

I wonder how many people are actually pursuing their dreams. How many people are happy with their lot in life? And who actually said that our life should be confined to a 'lot'.

What would happen if we did things that we were passionate about and really pursued them? What would happen if a farmer quit milking cows and started attending a dance academy. What if he took a financial gamble, suffered peer scrutiny, faced all the nay sayers, friendly concerns and domestic disapproval, and took all the challenges head-on. What if he succeeded? What if he failed?

I don't know such answers.

Perhaps the bigger question I am asking is;

What if someone follows their dream and fails?

Would they be bitter? Would they wish they did things normally, safely, securely, relatively dispassionately until the day they died? Would they have regrets? Would they consider their lives a tragedy?

This blog is about following your dreams. It is about facing your fears, your doubt, your critics. It's about being a better person. It's about creating a better society. Belonging to a better world. 

It's also an experiment.

What if we could do more than just dream?

I am. You are. We could be.

So why don't we?

This years resolution: Do more than just dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment